Thursday, November 19, 2009

Perspective Differences

I had an interesting experience in my Educational Ministry class. The professor asked us to answer two questions...

* What is a life time or span?

* Why do I and we live it?

Think about how you would answer them... comment on it if you would like to.

This is how I answered -

* What is a life time or span?
* the amount of time that a person is breathing, ideally into the time as a grandparent

* Why do I and we live it?
* People generally live into the 70’s or 80’s initially to help care for children in their community and ensure continuation of the species. There is more than that and a lot of exceptions but biologically every species needs to ensure continuation.

I had difficulty understanding why the question was being asked. It is interesting that I couldn't even see other options.

When the teacher shared his answer it was about God. Life is a gift from God and the purpose is to share the gospel. Everyone else who answered seemed to be in line with the same thought. I told them I felt like I was in a different book and shared my answers.

It reminds me of the importance of realizing that not everyone is coming from the same perspective. People may be operating with points of view that you cannot even see. You won't find out unless you engage in deep conversations. I do wonder how a room of Unitarian Universalists would react.

No comments:

Post a Comment