Friday, November 6, 2009

Visions?

I have been thinking a lot about Julian of Norwich as I prepare to write a paper about her. She was a monastic in the 14th century who, at some point, after a life threatening illness at the age of 31 wrote her showings. She indicted that during her illness she had a series of 16 visisons. She was so ill that she was being given last rites during this time. Before she got sick Julian had prayed to recieve three wounds that would allow her to be closer with God. One of them was essentially a near death experience.

I tend to think the woman was so delirouis with fever she saw essentially hullicinated. However is this rejection of a valid spiritual experience? I wonder what the Christian students think, if there is this doubt this would have actually been a divine vision? I don't discount the possiblity of divine visions but am told when I had a high fever and the flu a few years ago I was talking to someone who wasn't there.

I can't help thinking that if the prophets were around today claming to see some of the things they saw we would have medicated them. How many shamans/teachers/prophets are we missing?Sometimes I wonder how different my experience is than my fellow students. I think things just enter my brain differently. Is that a UU thing? Is there anything that we hold so sacred that it would be hard to hear the possiblity of error or humanness?This also begs the question if there was even error at all? So what if it was fever enduced?

Even if it wasn't a vision from God or the Spirit of Life or the Universe it gave Julian a vehicle to explain her theology. Perhaps that is what is important... what Julian did with the visions not how she got them.

No comments:

Post a Comment